Monday, February 25, 2019

Thing 25: Green Screen Fun

Okay, as soon as I saw that this was an option, I knew I wanted to do it.  A friend of mine had just posted a video she and her niece had made using a green screen over the February recess, and I had just assumed that it was something beyond my technical abilities. 

But when I noticed that it was an option to work with here, I knew that I would be able to master it, eventually.  All the tools are user friendly, and I haven't encountered anything beyond my reach, if I just take the time.

After reading the description and the articles that people had posted, including the examples that many had created or had their students create, I had some good ideas of ways that I can incorporate this tool into my classroom.  I can totally see students using this for presentations in our final project of the year, instead of the presentation board or PowerPoint that many chose to use last year.  Since their project works with The Omnivore's Dilemma, how cool will it be to have them standing in a corn field or a cow pasture as they talk about our food sources, or how much more powerful their points might be about a slaughterhouse, if they have some video rolling in the background.

I downloaded the app DoInk, which seems very user friendly, and the issues that I am having currently are things that I hope I can eliminate with a little fine tuning.  I used a green blanket as my backdrop, but I think that I may have better luck if I buy something that is a brighter green -- I noticed that one participant highly recommended using bright colors.  I think my green is a little too olive, and as a result some weird things are going on with my eyes and my hair.  I played around as much as I could with the chroma function, but I am still not 100% satisfied -- I am hoping that a brighter background might clear things up.

At first, the volume on my background videos drowned out what I was saying, but that was a simple adjustment, too.

I chose some images of my mother's and aunt's visit to me from last summer, and I can't wait to send her a copy and see if she's amazed.  But anyhow, here is my first green screen experiment:



2 comments:

  1. After I made this, I thought about what one of the teachers who had shared his experiences had written. He had accidentally scheduled to tape his students' green screen performances on March 17 -- St. Patrick's Day. As might have been expected, everyone arrived at school wearing green, and he rapidly had to improvise to make the shooting day successful.

    Guess what? It's February 27. Stores are filled with green for St. Patrick's Day, so I went to a party supply store and grabbed enough cheap green plastic tablecloth to wallpaper a room! My next green screen might be a little more ambitious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! St Patrick's day! Fun to make greenscreens that day and see the disembodied hands and heads. :) I've used green plastic tablecloths from the dollar/party store as well. Love the one you made for your family, very sweet.

    ReplyDelete